Sunday, June 28, 2009

Big Fish



A spectacle that I didn't know about until about a week or more after it's initial release. A group of friends and I were talking at the lunch table and everyone was mentioning Big Fish and I had no clue so I asked and they said it was Tim Burton's new film. So, soon there after ward my friend Martin and I, went to see it at the Toccoa Big FishTriple Cinema and when we were in there we ended up being the only ones. Toccoa is a shit hole nowadays for those who are unaware. It was something that I had no idea what it was about, I'm just a fan of Tim Burton so I look forward to seeing anything he does. I liked seeing it with no one else except one person in the room it kind of makes me feel like it's a special screening of the film in a way. Plus, you don't have to hear anyone else's dumb ass comments. I think the last thing Burton had done was the Planet of the Apes remake which looked good but, it wasn't such a good film some had thought. So, I'm sure a lot of people were sort of sceptical towards his next plunge into film. After I finished this film my eyes were wet with joy.

Big Fish is a beautiful film that follows the many tall tales of, Ed Bloom (Albert Finney-Senior, Ewin McGregor-Young), which explains a specific reason as of to why some things are how they now or, how they happened in his own personal perspective. The stories range everywhere from the birth of his son, to the meeting of his wife, to the hundreds of people he had met on his travels, from the time he was growing up, and times during war. His son, Will (Billy Crudup), has listened to his fathers false stories his whole life and for once would like to know 'the truth' for the sheer fact that his father is nearing his final days. The harder Will tries to get the truth from his father, his father stand by is story as the solemnly sworn truth and doesn't back down from his word. Will continues to believe his father is a liar and tries to piece together the truth on his own but, slowly starts to realize the man that his father really was which he never was able to know until now.

The film is my second favorite construction by Burton next to Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. It's a one of the most beautifully thought out story lines from a very unlikely, yet equally imaginative director. The cast ranges all the way from Danny Devito, Steve Buscemi, Jessica Lange, Matthew McGrory, and Helena Bonham Carter. The name is nothing short of a oxymoron to the old saying a fish gets bigger every time you tell the story about how big the fish was and that is the best way to describe the character, Ed Bloom. The man starts telling the tales so much he becomes them. It to me is a gorgeous concept challenging the idea of why does all everything have to be so boring when you tell the story? A story is only as exciting as important it was to you and Ed Bloom made clear that every single moment in life was important and it was as exciting to him as it was to the people that listened to the stories he thought up to go along with them.

trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment